Ballygiblin dig out huge result in Cork Premier JHC semi-final against Russell Rovers


Ballygiblin 0-25

Russell Rovers 1-19


The introduction of injured substitutes Joseph O’Sullivan and Darragh Flynn who accounted for eleven points between them proved crucial as Ballygiblin defeated a gallant Russell Rovers side after extra time in the Co-Op Superstores County JHC semi-final at Ballynoe on Saturday.

In a thrilling encounter the issue was in the balance all through. By the end of normal time they had been level on 10 occasions. Russell Rovers were first into the action with Josh Beausang pointing two frees by the third minute.

Ballygiblin’s response was immediate with Ryan Donegan replying from two frees. This continued to be the trend for a while. Shane Beston and Luke Duggan-Murray with a point apiece had them tied at 0-3 each.

Cathail O’Mahony had a very good point for Ballygiblin before Kevin Moynihan levelled at 0-4 each. Brian Hartnett edged the Imokilly side ahead again. In the 15th minute Rovers moved two clear when Josh Beausang pointed a free.

Ballygiblin responded when good play by Dean Barry led to a Cathail O’Mahony point after a solo run. In the 22nd minute the sides were level for the fourth time when Barry Coffey and Ryan Donegan combined well for Sean O’Sullivan who pointed 0-6 each.

The only goal came soon after when Kevin Moynihan worked well for Brian Hartnett who goaled. It seemed a major boost to the Rovers but they were unable to push on. Instead it was Ballygiblin that battled back well as they shaded matters in the run up to the break.

Their entire backline defended very confidently as a unit despite being under severe pressure. At the other end their half forward line of Kieran Duggan, Shane Beston and Pat Molloy featured strongly and four points in succession by the hardworking Dean Barry (two), Shane Beston, and Kieran Duggan helped them hold a 0-10 to 1- 6 interval lead.

On the resumption Kevin Moynihan levelled with an early point for the Imokilly side. Ryan Donegan with a free restored the winners lead and they moved two clear soon after when Cathail O’Mahony scored a great point from near the side line.

Ryan Donegan landing another point in the 37th minute from a ’65’ that opened up a 0-13 to 1-7 lead. Russell Rovers made a huge recovery with Eoghan O’Sullivan, Daniel Moynihan, James Kennefick, Kevin Moynihan, Luke Duggan-Murray, Josh Beausang and Brian Hartnett excelling.

They got on top in the half backline with Jack McGrath placing Brian Hartnett for a point. Josh Beausang landed two frees as the sides were deadlocked 0-13 to 1-10.

Ruairí Cummins added a point as Russell Rovers edged ahead. Josh Beausang had a free come back off the post and was cleared to safety. In a thrilling last quarter both teams sensed a place in the county final.

Good play by Seán O’Sullivan led to a long range point by Kieran Duggan as they were level for the eighth time 1-11 to 0-14. Kevin Moynihan edged Rovers ahead.

Ballygiblin introduced Darragh Flynn midway through this half where he made an immediate impact when scoring a great point from a sideline cut to level matters.

The North Cork side came close to a goal moments later when Shane Beston’s effort from a tight angle went narrowly wide. However Russell Rovers aided by the breeze hit a purple patch adding three rapid points by Josh Beausang and Brian Hartnett (two) as they moved 1-15 to 0-15 clear with five minutes remaining and they looked to have done enough to secure a place in the final.

The injured Joseph O’Sullivan was introduced for Ballygiblin late in this half as they tried to keep their season alive. Mark Keane was also moved to the half forward line as they went in search of scores.

Joseph O’Sullivan struck three pointed frees between here and the the final whistle, the last deep in injury time that was followed by the final whistle as the teams finished in stalemate at 1-15 to 0-18.

Extra time prevailed and Ballygiblin held a slight lead all through. Joseph O’Sullivan pointed a free and Shane Beston placed Darragh Flynn for a great point. Russell Rovers replied by Jack McGrath. Good play by Killian Roche led to a Joseph O’Sullivan point.

Josh Beausang got the lead down to a single point before Sean O’Sullivan placed Joseph O’Sullivan for a great point 0-22 to 1-17 at half-time in extra time.

Early on the changeover Beausang pointed a free. Ryan Donegan worked very well for Darragh Flynn who pointed under pressure. Josh Beausang and Darragh Flynn exchanged a point as the game moved into the closing moments.

Joseph O’Sullivan pointed a free following a foul on Kieran Duggan that was followed by the final whistle. Over the entire game the winners defence were very solid.

They had best displays by James Mullins, Fionn Herlihy, Mark Keane, Barry Coffey, Lorcan Finn, Killian Roche, Cathail O’Mahony, Dean Barry, Shane Beston, Ryan Donegan, Kieran Duggan Seá n O’Sullivan, Darragh Flynn and Joseph O’Sullivan.

For Russell Rovers who were in contention to the very end Kevin Moynihan, Josh Beausang, Brian Hartnett, Luke Duggan-Murray Eoghan O’Sullivan and Daniel Moynihan were very effective.

BALLYGIBLIN: C Noonan, L Finn, F Herlihy (Capt) J Mullins, B Coffey, M Keane, M Lewis, R Donegan 0-4 (0-3f. 0- 1 ’65), K Roche, S Beston 0-3, P Molloy, K Duggan 0-2, C O’Mahony 0-3, S O’Sullivan, D Barry 0-2 Subs: D Flynn 0-4 (0-1 s/l) for P Molloy, A O’Brien for D Barry, J O’Sullivan 0-7(0-5f) for S Beston (inj) S Beston for K Duggan, D Barry for S Beston (inj) K Duggan for D Barry (inj)

RUSSELL ROVERS: R Walsh, P Lane, K Tattan, P Cummins, J Kennefick, E O’Sullivan, K Ivers, D Moynihan, K Walsh, K Moynihan 0-3, L Duggan-Murray 0-1, J McGrath 0-1, J Beausang 0-9 (0-8f), B Hartnett 1-4, R Cummins 0-1 Subs: M Dwyer for R Cummins, R Cummins for P Lane

REFEREE: Brendan Barry Murphy (Aghabullogue)