ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — The No. 13 Texas Women’s Golf team shot a one-under-par 287 on Monday and is in second place after the opening round of the NCAA Albuquerque Regional at the UNM Championship Course. Three Longhorns are currently among the top-20 individuals, led by sophomore Bentley Cotton who shot a team-best four-under-par 68 and is tied for second. Graduate Brigitte Thibault is tied for 13th after posting an even-par round of 72, while senior Sara Kouskova is tied for 17th at one-over-par 73.
Cotton paced the Longhorns with a four-under-par 68 and is tied for second in the individual standings. The round of 68 from Cotton is her fourth round in the 60s this season and is tied for her second-lowest round of the season. The sophomore tallied back-to-back birdies on holes three and four to put her at two-under-par through the opening four holes. After registering her only bogey on the day on the seventh hole, Cotton bounced back by playing bogey-free, three-under-par golf over the remaining 11 holes.
Thibault’s even-par round of 72 was highlighted by birdies on holes two and nine, as well as seven consecutive pars from holes 12 through 18. The score of 72 was also her fifth round at par or better on the season.
Standing at two-over-par through the first two holes, Kouskova rallied by going one-under-par for the remainder of her round to finish at one-over-par 73 and help place her in the top-20.
Junior Sophie Guo led the team with 16 pars on the day, which included a stretch of five-straight pars on the front nine and eight consecutive pars on the back nine. Guo stands in a tie for 22nd following the opening round with a two-over-par 74.
Freshman Bohyun Park was the Longhorn’s final scorer with a four-over-par 76 to put her in a tie for 39th. Park was one-under-par through the first 11 holes.
In addition to the Longhorns (No. 13 in the latest WGCA Coaches Poll, released on May 6, 2022), the 12-team NCAA Albuquerque Regional Championship field includes: No. 2 Oregon, No. 12 Florida, No. 23 Arizona, Georgia, Louisville, New Mexico State, Northern Arizona, North Texas, Oklahoma, Sam Houston State and TCU.
No. 2 Oregon currently leads the team field after shooting a four-under-par-284 during the first round. No. 13 Texas trails by three strokes and is in second place, while No. 12 Florida is in third at even-par 288.
Briana Chacon of Oregon is the leader in the individual standings after shooting a seven-under-par 65 in the opening round. A group of four players are tied for second, including Cotton who sits at four-under-par 68 following the opening round.
The NCAA Albuquerque Regional continues with 18 holes each on Tuesday, May 10th and Wednesday, May 11th. Texas will again be paired with No. 2 Oregon and No. 12 Florida for Tuesday’s second round. Second-round tee times begin at 9 a.m. CT, while Texas won’t begin teeing off until 10:06 a.m. CT.
The top four teams from each of the six regional sites across the country advance to the NCAA Championship (May 20-25) at Grayhawk Golf Club in Scottsdale, Arizona.
- Sophomore Bentley Cotton fired a four-under-par 68 and is tied for second in the individual standings. The round of 68 is tied for her second-lowest round of the season. Cotton led the team with five birdies (No. 3, par-3; No. 4, par-4; No. 8, par-3; No. 11, par-3; No. 14, par-5) on Monday.
- Graduate Brigitte Thibault scored an even-par 72 and is tied for 13th in the individual standings. Thibault recorded two birdies (No. 2, par-4; No. 9, par-5) during the first round.
- Senior Sara Kouskova shot a one-over-par 73 to put her in a tie for 17th place in the individual standings. Kouskova tallied three birdies (No. 6, par-4; No. 14, par-5; No. 18, par-5) during the opening round.
- Junior Sophie Guo carded a two-over-par 74 and is tied for 21st in the individual standings. Guo posted 16 pars during the opening round, including eight consecutive pars from holes 11 through 18.
- Freshman Bohyun Park tallied a four-over-par 76 and is tied for 39th in the individual standings. Park registered one birdie (No. 7, par-4) on the day.