Hey there. It’s Monday, June 6, and you’re reading The Loop, a quick wrap-up of today’s news.
Let’s start here
Britain’s Conservative Party will hold a no-confidence vote that could oust Prime Minister Boris Johnson as leader — and we should know the result by tomorrow morning.
Party official Graham Brady says he has received enough letters from politicians demanding a vote on Johnson’s leadership to trigger one.
“In accordance with the rules, a ballot will be held between 1800 and 2000 today Monday 6th June (3am to 5am Tuesday AEST) — details to be confirmed,” Mr Brady wrote in a note to MPs.
If Mr Johnson loses the vote among the 359 Conservative politicians, he will be replaced as party leader and Prime Minister. If he wins, he will be safe from another challenge for a year.
It comes amid months of ethics scandals, most notably over rule-breaking parties in government buildings during COVID-19 lockdowns.
What else is going on
- Prime Minister Anthony Albanese says he will take part in the G20 meeting in Bali later this year, despite the Russian embassy indicating President Vladimir Putin also plans to attend. Former prime minister Scott Morrison had urged Indonesia to reject Mr Putin’s presence, saying it would be “a step too far”.
- Former NSW deputy premier John Barilaro has been awarded $715,000 in defamation damages over two YouTube videos made by comedian Jordan Shanks (also known as FriendlyJordies). Mr Barilaro sued Google in the Federal Court over its failure to remove the sketch videos, which he said were “vulgar”, “offensive” and portrayed him as a corrupt con man
What Australia has been searching for online
- Alec John Such. The bassist and founding member of Bon Jovi has died aged 70. Such played bass on the first five Bon Jovi albums and left the band in 1994.
- Angelo Moriondo. If you’ve Googled anything today, you might have noticed today’s Google Doodle which pays tribute to the Italian inventor “credited for patenting the earliest known espresso machine in 1884”. News reporters everywhere thank him.
One more thing
The MTV Movie and TV Awards have returned for another year. Some of the key winners included:
- Best Movie: Spider-Man: No Way Home
- Best Show: Euphoria
- Best Performance in a Movie: Tom Holland, Spider-Man: No Way Home
- Best Performance in a Show: Zendaya, Euphoria
- Best Hero: Scarlett Johansson, Black Widow
- Best Villain: Daniel Radcliffe, The Lost City
- Breakthrough Performance: Sophia Di Martino, Loki
Over on the red carpet, the Sun was out and so were the stars:
You’re up to date
Thanks for reading.